Congratulations on landing your new job! Now it's time to get to work. Learning your new role can be stressful and nerve-wracking. Here are 10 tips for focusing your mind and improving your performance so you can make a great first impression.
1. Familiarize yourself with the company ahead of time by studying their website, news articles and industry trends to conceptualize what you can contribute to the company’s goals.
2. Make a strong first impression by being knowledgeable about the business, so you can confidently ask questions. However, remember that you have a lot to learn, especially in your first few months. Make sure to make listening a priority.
3. Take notice of workflow and business processes so you can adopt them. This will streamline your transition and make you feel like part of the team.
4. If you make a mistake, try not to dwell on it. Amend the situation, and move on. It shows your employer you can take responsibility for your actions but also won't be derailed by errors.
5. Engage with employees outside your department. It will help you better understand your company at large and build friendships.
6. Make sure the expectations are clear from the outset to prevent misunderstandings. Hopefully the job description was outlined in the interview, but make sure you have a complete picture of your role, daily tasks, deadlines, etc.
7. Keep the lines of communication open. If you are going to have trouble meeting a deadline, give your manager plenty of notice.
8. Make yourself available. Whether that be for projects, company events or even on company social networks, your presence shows that you’re engaged and that you care about company culture.
9. Know what's acceptable in terms of personal web browsing, texting or using social media while at work. Staying focused at work can be hard enough without text and chat alerts.
10. Especially if you're a recent college grad starting your career or breaking into a new field, you should be constantly evaluating yourself and looking for ways to better yourself. Ask your supervisor how to improve your job performance for a clear picture of your strengths and weaknesses.
We are always on the lookout for hardworking, passionate people to join our fast-growing team. As specialists in office solutions, we look for people who understand the necessity of efficiency and streamlined processes. Learn more about us or browse our most current career opportunities.← Back
With offices in Oregon, Washington, California, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah, Pacific Office's top-notch sales team and technicians are quick to respond to service and repair requests and offer overall technical support.
Call or e-mail us today to learn more about our multifunction printers, IT services or submit a service work order. We'll be there to help you say, "Problem Solved."